did i ever mention that i found my thermarest? it was in the mamma-jamma (that's a giant suitcase dufflebag for those of you who aren't familiar with the term, and it's pronounced ma'am-ah-jam-ah). so sorry to all of you whom i accused of stealing it.
i finally watched steel magnolias. i had never seen it all the way through and i declare it is a delight. sad, yes, but hilarious mostly. i loved it. if anyone has ever compiled a list of dolly parton's one-liners from the film, i'd love to have it.
yesterday i went to the peabody museum in the afternoon because it's free from 2-5 on thursday afternoons. which means i will see the whole museum in 3-hour increments - just might take me 2 years. before i went there i was at my new office getting paperwork taken care of so i could start working next week and told the woman there that and she said "well, it's not really that big." but that's because she's never been through a museum with me. if you don't have the patience of a saint, don't bother going with me, i'll drive ya nuts. i like to read everything, compare everything, ask a hundred questions and then go back and make sure i understand... not as bad as i used to be though. i noticed yesterday that some things just weren't holding my attention, so i managed to complete the entire first floor in about an hour and 45 minutes then purused the gift shop for another 45 :) c'mon! i needed a post card for a professor! plus amber is some of my favorite jewelry and there were some exquisite pieces there. along with a hefty helping of otherwise hard-to-find books by my future professors at FES and some asian-inspired plates and bowls. i'm such a sucker for asian stuff...
anyway, when i was littler (6 to about 12 or 13), my parents and gram used to go through the museum ahead of me and papa and wait at the end, usually eating a churro or something equally tasty and chatting for an hour or two while papa and i read. every. word. of. every. exhibit. (i know, you're surprised) only papa would do that with me. which reminds me!
today is gram's birthday and i need to call her. oh my gosh, i can't believe i remembered that.
oh! the coolest thing was a giant turtle from a long time ago (see, i didn't read it all) it's carapace is like 10 ft across... dude. i guess i knew there were those, but i'd never seen one. i also saw the only brontosaurus skeleton. know why? because it was installed before they realized that bronosaurus and apatosaurus were the same thing so all the ones since then have been named apatosaurus! (well, i think it's cool.)
5 comments:
i took a history/latin american studies class in undergrad that involved going to st augustine, florida, and walking through the history museum there (um, that wasn't all we did in the class. we also ate burritos at this cute little mexican shack off the main tourist strip). the professor (this was scardaville--i just remembered you knew him) had worked previously as the city historian or something and explained to us all before we entered the museum that the folks who design those things know no one reads everything, so they try to make things as redundant and glance-friendly as possible. i'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.
As a child we studied dinosaurs in gifted summer school (yes, I chose to go to school in the summer). Anyway, I chose the brontosaurus as my favorite dinosaur. A year or so later when they discovered it didn't really exist, I changed my favorite to the stegosaurus. Did you know it had two brains? It was also the only herbivore known to have conquered the Allosaurus in a fight. Also, you can come down and check out the Smithsonians with me anytime. I read everything too.
yea!
1. About musea:
You go, girl! Anymore, I try to go alone so I don't annoy the people 'm with. I tend to do a quick overview and then go back for intense looking at a few particular pieces. A few years back, Lzzy and I were in NYC staying with a friend, who is a retired art historian. Since our last visit, the Met had re-done their Classical section, so I wanted to toddle over to see what new stuff they'd put out. Lizzy and Vinny said they'd come along. I warned them that I was like to get stuck there for a while and they should go do something without me. They said they'd come anyway. Sure enogh, they eventually just went and sat on a bench in the main atrium, outside the big gift shop. And the really odd thing abot outlasting Vinny was that he's a retired Classical art historian. I left before I was ready to because I felt guily about them just cooling their heels waiting fo me.
2. About Steel Magnolias:
Very funny. Best visual for several years' worth of movies: cutting the armadillo cake. But my favorite part is that you get to see JR die.
Yes, I did in fact just type that.
Don't tell me I'm the only one who finds her annoying. And more than a bit flaky.
Dear discipleassisi,
Good for you going to the museum. I did the same in good ol' VA. Quite often while waiting for my ride from school, I visited the VA Museum of Fine Art (VMFA). Quite a bit of history and art tied into one building (better than anything SC has to date). Best of all, the VMFA was free (and still is).
The VMFA still has the largest collection of Faberge eggs in one building (or is it out of Russia?). Regardless, quite an impressive collection.
Any who.....Enjoy the time alone wandering the museum. It is a wonderful way to discover the world and yourself.
Sincerely,
Dogwood
Post a Comment