25 June 2009

6/13/09


unedited fifth entry from the pocket-sized Moleskin I carried 30 miles into the wilderness:

"Hiked abt 4 miles to Moose Ranches - an old lodge site where hunters would come to kill all kinds of things not too many years ago. C[____] says there were sidewalks and tractors and all kinds of things that are now buried beneath the soil we see here. She said she thinks it's an elk calving area now. Elk have 2 ivory teeth according to A[___]. Is that true? What's the difference b/w ivory and normal teeth? We've stopped now and are set up already. It's rained a little, but thank goodness it's stopped for now. looks like blue sky is coming in from the south. This field we're sitting in gives a striking view of Bailey (Mtn)? and Cone (Peak)? as well as the range to the west. What range is that? The interns are working on learning sign inventory + GPSing. C[____] wants the old Bailey Mtn Trail sign, since they've already put up an identical new one..."

Editor's Note: This entry actually is edited, in that is is shorter than what I wrote in my notebook, but everything above the ellipsis is as written.

I'm sure I should know what the difference is between teeth and ivory. Mrs. Grey and Jackie Mitchell will be very disappointed that I do not remember, but I do not. and I have yet to google it.

The Mtn and Peak in question are what they are: that is, Bailey Mountain and Cone Peak. Again, still haven't looked up the western range from that valley meadow. *tsk tsk*.

C[___] did not take the Bailey Mtn Trail sign, even though she wanted it, but I really hope the FS gives it to her when they take it down. Really, they should give her anything she wants. She is the goddess of wilderness.

1 comment:

St. Izzy said...

Any mammalian tooth large enough to be carved, engraved, or to otherwise provoke commercial or artistic interest can be called "ivory."

There may be some crucial distinction in the thickness of one of the layers (dentin? enamel? I think it's dentin that's relevant here), but I'm fuzzy on that point.