01 June 2006

oh this one's so much better.

providing:

5 comments:

Napoleon said...

The paragraph about Transubstantiation was a little too far over the top, there is no way Living Light Ministries in TX would suscribe to that doctrine.

This is a good spoof article and I got a kick out of it. Yet, there is a deeper, serious question about social services weighed with evangilization (but I digress). Funny none the less.

discipleassisi said...

my take: you can't teach a starving person the love of God without showing it to them. which should include no words until God's practical, tactical work has been done.

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Grim. Just grim.

True story: A missionary lady home on furlough from Africa mentioned how thrifty the "natives" were--even re-using tea bags. Shortly after her return to the field, the ladies of her home church sent her a care package full of, you guessed it, used tea bags.

Another true story about giving less than our best: Izzy saw a skinny, tiny, under-developed kid in Haiti wearing a donated t-shirt that said "Drunk chicks dig me."

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted that article. I saw that when it first came out, and I menat to post it because I thought it was HILARIOUS.

And I agree with all the previous comments. I think a lot of people have a very narrow or skewed idea of what "doing the Lord's work" actually means. A friend of mine just said she got from Malawi, and there was an orphanage that only let the kids stay if they converted to Christianity. I don't know the details, soo I will resist passing judgement, but undoubtedly there are examples of this throughout the whole world.

And while obviously (or hopefully) all foreign involvement/investment is not a bad thing, let's not get on the topic of receiving aid and assitance only if you change your county's economic structure so its favorable to multinational corporations, often destroying all forms of local economy and its natural environment. Oops, I guess I did get on the topic.

Napoleon said...

Baldman, good point, but it's not only in the area of economies, what about health. There's an intersting case study going on in the U.N. right now about AIDS. A recent report suggested/demanded that countries stop putting restrictions on AIDS relief based on the use of condoms or other contraceptives. As christians, particularly Catholics, this is a hard question because of our believe in the fundamental disconnect involved in using contraception. But do you stand tall on your morals when it may stand in the way of assisting in a public health disaster; are there alternatives; would an abstinence only approach work in a predominantly non-christian continent? Tough questions in putting together faith and social work.